My most anticipated movies of 2011

Friday, December 31, 2010

In approximately an hour, it'll be officially 2011. It seemed like a good time to make a list of the ten best movies of 2010. But I failed to do so for two reasons:
1. I haven't seen all the movies, which wouldn't make my list accurate. Especially considering that a lot of those movies are considered great ('True grit', '127 hours', 'The king's speech', etc.).
2. I couldn't even come up with five memorable movies I've seen this year. It seems this year was a pretty dissapointing year. Maybe it's just me. I'm not a big fan of high tech movies which contain all the latest film tricks in the book. So that leaves out greatly received movies such as 'Inception' and 'Black swan'. Call me old-fashioned, but I like movies that contain elements of real life.


So instead of making a list of my favorite movies of 2010, I've made a list of my most anticipated movies of 2011:

10. Larry Crowne


After Larry Crowne, a middle-aged man, is terminated from his job, he goes back to college, where he unexpectedly connects with his fellow students and even starts a romantic relationship with a professor.
Though the storyline doesn't look particularly interesting, I'm curious to see the reunion between Julia Roberts and Tom Hanks. For some reason, I don't like either of them as individual actors, but I think they had great chemistry in 2007's 'Charlie Wilson's war'.

9. Contagion



An action-thriller centered on the threat posed by a deadly disease and an international team of doctors contracted by the CDC to deal with the outbreak.
Very interesting and intellectual plot; not to mention the promising cast: Matt Damon, Kate Winslet, Jude Law and Marion Cotillard.

8. The other woman


Emilia is a Harvard law school graduate and just married her boss, Jack. Unfortunately, her life takes an unexpected turn when Jack and Emilia lose their newborn daughter. Emilia struggles through her grief to connect with her new stepson William, but is finding it hard to connect with the precocious child. But the most difficult obstacle of all is trying to cope with the constant interferences of her husband's angry, jealous ex-wife, Carolyn.
I'm very curious to see Natalie Portman in this film. Even though I wasn't fond of 'Black swan', her acting was splendid. I saw the trailer and it looks really promising.

7. Hanna


An action-thriller starring Saoirse Ronan, Cate Blanchett and Eric Bana. Hanna is a teenage girl. She has been raised by her father to become the perfect assassin. The turning point in her adolescence is a sharp one; sent into the world by her father on a mission, Hanna journeys stealthily across Europe while eluding agents dispatched after her by a ruthless intelligence operative with secrets of her own. As she nears her ultimate target, Hanna faces startling revelations about her existence and unexpected questions about her humanity
Very interesting plot and cast. I just saw the trailer, which wasn't that good. But for me a trailer is more a suggestion than a turning-point. Sometimes the trailer is aweful but the movie is good, and vice versa.

6. The adjustment bureau



A science-fiction romance film set in Manhattan.
The story evolves around David Norris, a charismatic United States Congressman who seems destined for national political stardom. He meets a beautiful ballet dancer named Elise Sellas, only to find out that strange circumstances keep them from becoming romantically involved. Norris discovers forces are at work to keep them apart, and he is determined to find out why.
I think I've seen this trailer every single time I go to the cinema since september, which is a lot! Though the trailer starts to bore me, the idea of the story is intrigueing as it plays on the concept of faith and destiny. I'm waiting on this one.

5. Kung Fu Panda 2



Po (Jack Black) is now a kung fu master, fighting alongside Master Shifu  and The Furious Five—Monkey (Jackie Chan), Crane (David Cross), Tigress (Angelina Jolie), Viper (Lucy Lui), and Mantis (Seth Rogen). They have to join forces with another group of kung fu masters to defeat Lord Shen (Gary Oldman), a peacock, who plans to use a secret weapon that can destroy kung fu forever.
After all the serious previous movies, I can't wait for the sequel to 2008's Kung Fu Panda. Besides the fact that I love the film, I'm also very excited to hear Angelina Jolie as Tigress.


4. Pirates of the Caribbean 4: on stranger tides


Captain Jack Sparrow crosses paths with a woman from his past, and he's not sure whether it's love or if she's a ruthless con artist who's using him to find the fabled Fountain of Youth. When she forces him aboard the ship of the formidable pirate Edward Teach, also known as Blackbeard, Jack finds himself on an unexpected adventure in which he doesn't know whom to fear more: Blackbeard or the woman from his past.
The reason why I'm so excited to see this can be summed up quickly:
Pirates of the Caribbean-Keira Knightley-Orlando Bloom-cheesy romance between a pirate and a high class woman+Johnny Depp+Penelope Cruz+love interest for Captain Jack Sparrow+awesome trailer.
That says it all, I think :)

3. New Year's eve

About various couples and singles and how they spend new year's eve.Why is this not on the number one spot you ask? Well, though I'm dying to see Michelle again, let's be honest; this is not a Michelle Pfeiffer movie. If she had the lead in it, this movie would be number 1, 2 and 3. But since she's part of an ensemble cast and the movies contains disasters like Asston Kutcher and Zac Efron, this was the highest I could rank it.

2. The tree of life


Set in the 1950's, starring superstars Brad Pitt and Sean Penn, this movie looks about as good as it gets.
We trace the evolution of an eleven-year-old boy in the Midwest, Jack, one of three brothers. At first all seems marvelous to the child. He sees as his mother does with the eyes of his soul. She represents the way of love and mercy, where the father tries to teach his son the world’s way of putting oneself first. Each parent contends for his allegiance, and Jack must reconcile their claims. The picture darkens as he has his first glimpses of sickness, suffering and death. The world, once a thing of glory, becomes a labyrinth.
From this story is that of adult Jack, a lost soul in a modern world, seeking to discover amid the changing scenes of time that which does not change: the eternal scheme of which we are a part. When he sees all that has gone into our world’s preparation, each thing appears a miracle—precious, incomparable. Jack, with his new understanding, is able to forgive his father and take his first steps on the path of life.
The story ends in hope, acknowledging the beauty and joy in all things, in the everyday and above all in the family—our first school—the only place that most of us learn the truth about the world and ourselves, or discover life’s single most important lesson, of unselfish love.
The story appeals to me in a very real way. It's honest, complex and it's about every day obstacles captured in a extraordinary way; my kind of movie. I keep watching the trailer over and over again, it has to be one of the best trailers I've ever seen. Just watch it, you won't regret it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLPe0fHuZsc
The posters and stills of the movie are all so beautiful and I am on the very edge of my seat for the release date of this film.

1. Angelina Jolie's directorial debut.


I know, it's sad. The movie doesn't even have a title yet and I'm already all over it. I've been following every little detail on this movie, which happen to be very few.
All I really know about this untitled love story is that it's set in the Bosnian war. It's about a love between a Muslim woman and a Serbian man. There's no release date yet, so who knows, maybe my anticipation will hold out till 2012. All I know is that I can't wait to see what Angie has written and directed.

So those are my top 10 most anticipated movies. Really can't wait to see them. But for now, happy new year to all movie lovers! :)

3 comments:

ELovesMp said...

Great list Chels !
Most of the movies you've selected are also in my own list ! hehe xx

Paul S said...

Happy New Year Chels!
I like the sound of The Tree Of Life,I'll definitely be checking that one out.

chelsea313 said...

Thx Els and Paul :)
Happy new year!

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.