And the winners are...

Tuesday, January 18, 2011


Yesterday was the night of the Golden Globes. Famous people from all across America flew into Los Angeles to attend the 68th annual awards ceremony. It was a night full of glamour, celebrity and anticipation. Most of the winners, I expected; others I didn’t.
*= winner
! = should have won
Best Motion Picture - Drama
Black Swan (2010)
Inception (2010)

Best Motion Picture - Musical or Comedy
Burlesque (2010/I)
Red (2010/I)

Best Performance by an Actor in a Motion Picture - Drama

Best Performance by an Actress in a Motion Picture - Drama

Best Performance by an Actor in a Motion Picture - Musical or Comedy

Best Performance by an Actress in a Motion Picture - Musical or Comedy
Emma Stone for Easy A (2010)

Best Performance by an Actor in a Supporting Role in a Motion Picture

Best Performance by an Actress in a Supporting Role in a Motion Picture

Best Director - Motion Picture

Best Screenplay - Motion Picture

Best Original Song - Motion Picture
Burlesque (2010/I): Diane Warren("You Haven't Seen The Last of Me") *
Country Strong (2010): Bob DiPiero, Tom Douglas, Hillary Lindsey, Troy Verges("Coming Home")
Tangled (2010): Alan Menken, Glenn Slater("I See the Light")

Best Original Score - Motion Picture

Best Animated Film
Tangled (2010)
Toy Story 3 (2010) *

Best Foreign Language Film
Biutiful (2010) (Mexico/Spain)
The Concert (2009) (France)
The Edge (2010) (Russia)
I Am Love (2009) (Italy)
In a Better World (2010) (Denmark) *

First of, what was with the host? Sure, his little introduction to Robert Downey Junior was funny, but besides a couple moments, I didn’t find him entertaining at all.
The one award that surprised me was the best supporting actor in a comedy or musical. I expected either Kevin Spacey or Johnny Depp to win. Depp had a 2 out of 5 chance of winning! Not that he really deserved it, but still. By no means did I expect Paul Giamatti to win.
Natalie Portman winning best actress was predictable and well deserved.
You know, of all the nominated movies for best drama, I think ‘Social Network’ is the least deserving of the title. Was it a good movie, yes. Did it have a nice screenplay, yes. But it was not the best drama of 2010. I really did not see that one coming. I expected ‘Black swan’, ‘The King’s Speech’ or even ‘Inception’ to win, but not this one. After their third win I started to get irritated. The movie is so overvalued. Best score; best screenplay; best director. Enough is enough! I was sincerely glad that Jesse Eisenberg did not win best actor over Colin Firth.  
One of the things that really surprised me is how young Melissa Leo looks in real life. After some research I learned that she’s only 11 years older than her son, Mark Wahlberg in ‘The Fighter’. I really love that she won for best supporting actress. For a minute there I feared that Mila Kunis would win, but the HFPA got some sense after all.

Sigh… I just love award shows. Just the idea that they’re all sitting there, live, gathered together in that “little” space. Yes, I’m one of those (ones that stare in awe at celebrities and glamour). It was nicely organized and my favorite girls, Michelle and Angelina, were looking more gorgeous than ever.

I’m eagerly waiting for the Oscars!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.