Anne Hathaway; the Catwoman heiress...

Saturday, January 22, 2011

It's official! The actress portraying the role of Catwoman/Selina Kyle in 'The dark knight rises' will be Anne Hathaway. She'll be starring in the third "Christopher Nolan" Batman movie with Christian Bale as Batman. The movie will start filming in May and the release date is set for July 20th 2012.

Catwoman will return to the screen for the third time.
-The first time, in 1992, Michelle Pfeiffer made the role her own.
-In 2004, Halle Berry attempted at a new kind of Catwoman which had no relations to the former Catwoman or original story.
-And now, Hathaway.

I like Anne, I really do. But if you ask me, it's a disaster waiting to happen. Let's take a look at Anne's career so far;

She started out with "the good girl" roles such as 'The princess Diaries' and 'Ella enchanted'. She was perfect for those parts, hands down. Then she moved on to 'The Devil wears Prada' in 2006 with Meryl Streep. Love the film, liked her performance. For some reason though, I always get the feeling that she's acting. Well, duh, she's an actress! It just doesn't feel natural, like it should. And nobody wants to see a forced Catwoman performance. She did surprise me in 'Rachel getting married', but that doesn't really help with this role. Her recent 'Valentine's day' and 'Love and other drugs' are big jokes to me.

I'm having the hardest time picturing Anne as Catwoman. I keep seeing her broad smile and sweet-looking face. She's the nice girl-next-door type and doesn't have that mysterious sex appeal that Catwoman should have. I try picturing her with a whip, and I try my best not to laugh at the idea.

The role of Catwoman/Selina is more complex than may appear. It's all about the prefect balance. Words that come to mind when hearing "Catwoman"; sex appeal, vulnerable, dangerous, sustainable, untrustworthy, powerful, unpredictable, gorgeous. The range is immense. That's why the actress portraying her has to be chosen very carefully. In 1992, Tim Burton, got it exactly right when casting Michelle Pfeiffer (after Anette Bening couldn't make it, but still). She had just the right amount of everything that is Catwoman, and to top it of, she made a wonderful Selina Kyle. She was offered to reprise her role in 2004, which would be a movie completely about Catwoman. I guess she smelled smoke, because she refused and it went to Halle Berry. 

This I refer to as: "the biggest film mistake ever made". My Gosh, that movie was horrible! Not only were both the dialogue and plot disasters, Berry was all wrong for the part. When I look back at what went wrong there, the biggest fault of all was the misinterpretation about her sex appeal. She's a beautiful woman, sure, but not the kind of beauty that is needed for Catwoman. Halle Berry's Catwoman was nothing but a ordinary woman in a (waaaay too skanky,) tight leather suit. She gave Catwoman nothing remotely close to Michelle's. Her whole charisma was wrong for the part and there are 7 (!) Razzie nominations to back that up.
If Anne Hathaway's Catwoman will be compaired to Halle's version, she's got nothing to lose. On the other hand, if people will look back at Michelle's Catwoman and the other classic versions (Julie Newmar), she better bring it all.
When I think about all the actresses who were considered and rumored to be Catwoman, I can't think of anyone really perfect for the job. Natalie Portman is a great actress, but not for this. Scarlett Johansson doesn't have what it takes. Angelina Jolie would've pulled it off, but she's just too big of a star and would've overshadowed Christian Bale. Megan Fox, Katherine Heigl and Jessica Alba, I don't even want to talk about. The only ones that might have been slightly better than Hathaway are Emily Blunt and Charlize Theron.
You know, if they hadn't waited 19 years to bring Catwoman back to life (the 2004 disaster doesn't count), Michelle could've played her again! Sigh.. that would've been a dream come true...

But who knows, maybe Anne will pull a Heath Ledger and we'll all be surprised by her performance. I'm sure Christopher Nolan knows what he's doing. All I know is she'll never completely fill the shoes of Michelle Pfeiffer. Someone says "Catwoman", I yell "Michelle Pfeiffer". And I'm not just saying that cause I'm a Pfan.You know it's true; She IS Catwoman!

4 comments:

Paul S said...

You've done some great posts this week Chelsea!
I enjoyed your coverage of The Golden Globes although I'm so out of touch with the current crop of movie stars that I don't even know who Anne Hathaway is.
I wish Anne the best of luck but I don't think there's an actress alive who is fit to wear Michelle's catsuit,like you I think it's a great shame we never got to see MP reprise the role.

Chelsea said...

Haha, I see you're still stuck in the nineties, Paul :P
Anne Hathaway is one of the It-girls of today! Not that you're missing out on anything.
Thanks for your comment and support, as always :)

theyellowbrickroad02 said...

I agree with you completely I think Emily Blunt would have made a better selection for catwoman

Regan Craig Davids said...

Charlize Theron would totally have pulled it off

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.