Award season :)

Wednesday, January 5, 2011

You know why I like the beginning of the new year? No, not because it's a new start, or because I can act out on all my new years resolutions (I figure that's all a bunch of crap anyway). I'm excited about the early months of 2011 because it's award season time! Golden Globes, Oscars, BAFTA, even the Razzies. So these following weekes, I'll post a lot on everything award-y.

The nominations of the Golden Globes have already been announced:
sidenote: since I don't care much for television series, I've only included motion picture nominees.


Best Motion Picture - Drama
Black Swan (2010)
Inception (2010)

Best Motion Picture - Musical or Comedy
Burlesque (2010/I)
Red (2010/I)

Best Performance by an Actor in a Motion Picture - Drama
Mark Wahlberg for The Fighter (2010)

Best Performance by an Actress in a Motion Picture - Drama

Best Performance by an Actor in a Motion Picture - Musical or Comedy

Best Performance by an Actress in a Motion Picture - Musical or Comedy
Emma Stone for Easy A (2010)

Best Performance by an Actor in a Supporting Role in a Motion Picture

Best Performance by an Actress in a Supporting Role in a Motion Picture

Best Director - Motion Picture

Best Screenplay - Motion Picture

Best Original Song - Motion Picture
Burlesque (2010/I): Diane Warren("You Haven't Seen The Last of Me")
Country Strong (2010): Bob DiPiero, Tom Douglas, Hillary Lindsey, Troy Verges("Coming Home")
Tangled (2010): Alan Menken, Glenn Slater("I See the Light")

Best Original Score - Motion Picture

Best Animated Film
Tangled (2010)

Best Foreign Language Film
Biutiful (2010)(Mexico/Spain)
The Concert (2009)(France)
The Edge (2010)(Russia)
I Am Love (2009)(Italy)
In a Better World (2010)(Denmark)

For the best drama, I think Inception and Black swan are in battle. I wonder why ‘127 hours’ isn’t nominated though…
The nominations for best musical or comedy are a bit sad this year. And some of them aren’t even in the right category. ‘The Tourist’ was so not a comedy. And ‘The kids are all right’ was more a drama than anything else. Not that there was much to choose from. The only one worthy of a Golden Globe is ‘The kids are all right’. Even though I secretly still hope ‘The Tourist’ wins.
For best actor it’ll definitely be either James Franco or Mark Wahlberg.
Best actress is going to Natalie Portman. No contest. And why in the world is Halle Berry nominated for ‘Frankie and Alice’??
Best actor in a musical or comedy goes to Johnny Depp. Probably for ‘Alice in Wonderland’.
Best actress in a musical or comedy… ANGELINA JOLIE!!! I know, I know, it wasn’t one of her best performances and she technically doesn’t deserve it, sigh… One of the leads from ‘The kids are all right’ then.
I’m not sure about best supporting actor in drama. The nominees are all really great. But I’m guessing Christian Bale will take it home.
I really think Mila Kunis’ performance is overrated in ‘Black swan’. It’s like she’s just tagging along with the greatness of the lead actress and film itself. She was fine, but not outstanding. Helena Bonham Carter deserves the GG for best supporting actress in drama much more.
Best director… that’s a tough one. I really have no clue which one will win.
Ok, even though ‘The Tourist’ wasn’t a great film, the score was fantastic! They should’ve been nominated if not win.
 ‘Social network’ and ‘127 hours’ had equally great screenplays.
For best animated film I had high hopes for ‘Megamind’. But ‘Despicable me’ was nice also.
Best foreign film: ‘Biutiful’.
When I noticed the hoopla around ‘Inception’ when it got released, I thought 2011’s  award season would be theirs. But ‘Black swan’ has proven a worthy competitor. What really came to my attention is the amount of great drama films and the lack of good comedies. I mean, people keep complaining about the dull nominees for the comedy section, but there really was nothing to choose from.
There’s a big chance all my assumptions are totally wrong, but isn’t that the fun of award shows? The unpredictability and surprise element.

4 comments:

Paul S said...

You know I'm a sucker for the awards season too Chelsea. I love all the speculation and the glamour that surrounds The Oscars,Globes and yes even The Razzies!
Mind you I'm so out of touch with the current films and their stars that I'm going to be relying on your blog to keep me informed in the next few weeks and I'm sure you're not gonna let me down:)

Lesya Khyzhnyak said...

How amazing, you have a picture of Meryl at your blog. She is my favorite actress.

Great post, although I can't agree on some points. I'm madly n love with Inception and I would like it to win as many awards as possible but I think this The Social Network will dominate in the majority of categories as a winner. I found this film overrated, and can't get the all-absorbing obsession with it. Best actor - in my opinion, the main contenders are Firth and Franco (and Eisenberg, sadly). Absolutely agree, that Portman was the best actress this year, she was amazing, and I share you pov, that Kunis' performance was overrated, yes, she was good, but not to get the trophy. As for supporting actor, Bale MUST get it.

Oops, I guess, this comment is way too big, but also love the Awards Season :)

Chelsea said...

She's one of my faves too (obviously).
Social network was OK, but not fantastic. If it gets the Oscar over Inception AND Black swan, I'll be really surprised

red ticking said...

love your recap...i am making my way to the movies now... better get going to run thru the list... black swan... loved natalie, the ballet and cinematography but the psyco aspect did not thrill me. she was so amazing in the professional and look at her now... what a career....
xx pam

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.