Best Actress (2000-2010)

Tuesday, February 1, 2011

The annual Oscars are widely regarded as the most important award ceremony of the year. The winners are chosen by absolute professionals in every subject matter. Going back 83 years, the Academy has proven to hold high credibility. But do they always judge the right way? Here are my quick thoughts on the winners from the past 10 years in my favorite category: Best Actress.
2000
Hilary Swank – Boys Don't Cry as Brandon Teena
Annette Bening – American Beauty as Carolyn Burnham
Janet McTeer – Tumbleweeds as Mary Jo Walker
Julianne Moore – The End of the Affair as Sarah Miles
Meryl Streep – Music of the Heart as Roberta Guaspari
Really tough competition that year. Hilary was deserving, but then again so were Julianne and Annette.

2001
Julia Roberts – Erin Brockovich as Erin Brockovich
Joan Allen – The Contender as Sen. Laine Hanson
Juliette Binoche – Chocolat as Vianne Rocher
Ellen Burstyn – Requiem for a Dream as Sara Goldfarb
Laura Linney – You Can Count on Me as Sammy Prescott
No, no, no! I can’t stand Julia Roberts. She has to be the most overrated actress ever! I liked her in a couple of movies, but no way that she deserves to have this Oscar on her name. This one had ‘Joan Allen’ written all over it.

2002
Halle Berry – Monster's Ball as Leticia Musgrove
Judi Dench – Iris as Iris Murdoch
Nicole Kidman – Moulin Rouge! as Satine
Sissy Spacek – In the Bedroom as Ruth Fowler
Renée Zellweger – Bridget Jones's Diary as Bridget Jones
Yep, she deserved this one. She is actually the first afro-American to have won this award.

2003
Nicole Kidman – The Hours as Virginia Woolf
Salma Hayek – Frida as Frida Kahlo
Diane Lane – Unfaithful as Connie Sumner
Julianne Moore – Far from Heaven as Cathy Whitaker
Renée Zellweger – Chicago as Roxie Hart
This was a good year. All of these nominees deserved to win. I actually would’ve preferred Diane Lane to win, but Nicole was amazing also. Meryl Streep should’ve had a nomination for ‘The Hours’ too as she was every bit as good as Kidman.

2004
Charlize Theron – Monster as Aileen Wuornos
Keisha Castle-Hughes – Whale Rider as Paikea Apirana
Diane Keaton – Something's Gotta Give as Erika Berry
Samantha Morton – In America as Sarah
Naomi Watts – 21 Grams as Cristina Peck
Charlize Theron really surprised the world with this movie. The Oscar was spoken for from the very beginning so no surprises here.

2005
Hilary Swank – Million Dollar Baby as Maggie Fitzgerald
Annette Bening – Being Julia as Julia Lambert
Catalina Sandino Moreno – Maria Full of Grace as María Álvarez
Imelda Staunton – Vera Drake as Vera Drake
Kate Winslet – Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind as Clementine Kruczynski
I was leaning a little more towards Annette, but this is definitely not a snub.

2006
Reese Witherspoon – Walk the Line as June Carter Cash
Judi Dench – Mrs Henderson Presents as Laura Henderson
Felicity Huffman – Transamerica as Bree
Keira Knightley – Pride & Prejudice as Elizabeth 'Lizzie' Bennet
Charlize Theron – North Country as Josey Aimes
Reese’s performance is way overrated in ‘Walk the line’. She was fine, but not nearly as good as any of the other nominees.

2007
Helen Mirren – The Queen as Queen Elizabeth II
Penélope Cruz – Volver as Raimunda
Judi Dench – Notes on a Scandal as Barbara Covett
Meryl Streep – The Devil Wears Prada as Miranda Priestly
Kate Winslet – Little Children as Sarah Pierce
I’m a big fan of ‘The Devil wears Prada’, so I had hoped Streep would’ve walked away with 2007’s Oscar. However, Helen Mirren was more than outstanding in her portrayal of Queen Elizabeth, so I’m not complaining.

2008
Marion Cotillard – La Vie en Rose as Édith Piaf
Cate Blanchett – Elizabeth: The Golden Age as Queen Elizabeth I
Julie Christie – Away from Her as Fiona Anderson
Laura Linney – The Savages as Wendy Savage
Ellen Page – Juno as Juno MacGuff
This one was Cate’s. I was so impressed by her performance in ‘The golden age’, I’m really shocked Marion Cotillard got chosen over her.

2009
Kate Winslet – The Reader as Hanna Schmitz
Anne Hathaway – Rachel Getting Married as Kym Buchman
Angelina Jolie – Changeling as Christine Collins
Melissa Leo – Frozen River as Ray Eddy
Meryl Streep – Doubt as Sister Aloysius Beauvier
Another overrated performance. This was actually the first ceremony I watched while being seriously into movies. I was so torn between Jolie’s and Streep’s performance, it never even occurred to me they both would walk away empty-handed. I was very unimpressed with Kate Winslet’s performance, because I know she’s great and can do better. Both Angelina and Meryl moved me with their flawless dramatic performances. If you aske me, it should’ve been a tie between the two.

2010
Sandra Bullock – The Blind Side as Leigh Anne Tuohy
Helen Mirren – The Last Station as Sofya Tolstoy
Carey Mulligan – An Education as Jenny Miller
Gabourey Sidibe – Precious as Claireece "Precious" Jones
Meryl Streep – Julie & Julia as Julia Child
She was good, but not great and definitely not Oscar worthy. But then again, 2009 was a very weak year of Cinema; better nominees weren’t available. But I still think that they rather should’ve honored newbie Gabourney Sidibe with her very first nomination and win.
No, the Academy isn’t perfect either and they’re decisions are made by personal opinions. Not everyone can agree, which is why it sure is fun to criticize! 

3 comments:

Paul S said...

I'm in total agreement with your opinion of Julia Roberts, Chelsea I've never really liked her.I thought Charlize Theron was amazing in Monster but even though I'm a big boxing and Clint Eastwood fan I was never that sold on Hilary Swank in Million Dollar Baby....and I also agree that Reese Witherspoon was overrated.
Looking at your list I'm quite suprised at some of the winners in the last ten years....it's a good job I've got you to enlighten me:)

Chelsea said...

I do my best Paul :)

onlinetv2you said...

nice yar

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.