The King's Speech

Saturday, February 12, 2011

I feel bad I didn’t see this movie before the end of 2010, as it would’ve made my list of “best movies of 2010” a lot easier to create. The King’s Speech is simply brilliant and definitely one of the best dramas I’ve seen in a long time.

Colin Firth gives one his best performances of his career. The stutter was very well done and his English charm suits his portrayal of royalty perfectly. I was loudly cheering for him when he won the Golden Globe. I think he has a very good chance of winning the Oscar also.
The encounters between Firth and Geoffrey Rush’s character, Lionel Logue, were my favorite. They brought a nice humoristic tone to the film. I just kept laughing at the “Bertie” comments. The base of their relationship starts somewhat professional. Later on, the story lets the bond blossom until it turns into a very real friendship.
Helena Bonham Carter fit appropriately as the supporting wife of Prince Albert. However, I don’t think she did anything outstanding to make her Oscar nomination accurate.
I loved the setting. One of the things I noticed first was the placing of the couch where Logue helps Prince Albert of his stammer. It’s set against a beautiful, abstract wall that flows well with the sentiments of the main character. The locations of the movie were very well chosen and describe the historic events ideally.
Firth’s character is so well constructed that you anxiously root for him in the final scene. When you have to explain the content of the film in one sentence one might say: “The story of King George VI struggling to get rid of his stammer”.  And technically that is what it is. But the core of this movie goes so much deeper than that. Besides a man facing his fears, it’s about a friendship that arises with mutual respect and understanding.
The King’s Speech is a wonderful movie with all the right essentials: great cast, perfect chemistry, an appropriate amount of humor, nice setting and the ending we all wanted to see.

3 comments:

Jack L said...

fantastic review,
I have yet to see this film sadly, but I'm really looking forward to it especially as I've read so mnay reviews, including your excellent one, that praise it very highly!

By the way, I like your blog very much, I look forward to following and reading your posts!

Chelsea said...

Thank you! I appreciate your support :)
I hope you'll watch "The King's Speech" soon; I'm sure you'll love it.

filmdrivel said...

Good review,loved this film when i saw it. As you say a great performance from Firth and such a feel good ending!

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.