Project 1993: 'Indecent Proposal'

Sunday, July 3, 2011

*Project 1993 is a series of posts where I review films from the year 1993. I do movies from various genres and mostly ones that really meant something to me. Here's a link to all the articles from the project.



A story about a choice between love and money
‘Indecent Proposal’ is the story about David and Diane, a happily married couple that has been together since high school. Though they live on a day-to-day basis, their marriage contains love, passion and affection. When David loses his architecture job, a series of debts start to emerge. With the idea of good hope, they flee to Las Vegas hoping to turn their $5.000 into $50.000. While gambling for the sake of their future, Diane catches the eye of a business man who gambles millions like pocket-money. Being used to buying all he wants, he makes the penniless couple an offer: $1.000.000 for one night with Diane…

The obvious intention of this movie is to let the viewer ask themselves “would I?” On paper, it’s simple really: money can’t buy love. But ‘Indecent Proposal’ twists it in such a way that this crass subject matter becomes unclear and ambiguous. Ever since watching this film, I’ve been discussing the topic at least a dozen times, changing my mind each time. You can’t help but sympathize with the enormous dilemma this couple faces.




I watched this film during my “Demi Moore” period and I was actually tremendously impressed. Later on, I did some research on the film and came to know that it was panned by most critics and even won several Razzies. I do agree that the technical details could’ve been better and yes, most of the acting was mediocre, but the story itself was great. Since when do words like “unrealistic” belong in a review anyway? Of course, half the stuff in the film would never happen in real life, but that’s why it’s called a movie!
Demi Moore, whom I don’t see as a great actress, did a pretty decent job in my opinion. I’ve always found that there are two sides to Demi’s acting: the innocent, pure side and the sexy, femme fatale side. The former shows in this movie. She portrays Diane with such a helpless quality that you almost feel sorry for her. Stuck between two men who symbolize either love or wealth, we can see, feel and understand the difficulty of her choice. I know I’m one of few, but I never blamed the character for the choices she made. Woody Harrelson was supposed to be the quirky, passionate husband, but his acting failed to impress me. Though he was responsible for almost half of the story, I never felt that he was emotionally involved. Robert Redford, on the other hand, was the perfect guy to play the rugged, handsome billionaire.


The story actually reached my sentimental side, which doesn’t happen very often. Especially the final scene, which could be seen as cheesy, got to me. Ultimately, the movie did something I love in movies: it made me think. It made something unimaginable seem imaginable. Not everything is black or white, right or wrong. Sometimes there’s a genuine reason for hesitation. But in the end (and I know how corny this sounds), love conquers all.



Favorite Quotes:

"I thought we were invincible. But now I know that the things that people in love do to each other, they remember. And if they stay together, it's not because they forget. It's because they forgive."

1 comments:

Paul S said...
This comment has been removed by the author.

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.