Seen from 2011:

Sunday, July 10, 2011

When I saw many bloggers naming their best and worse of the past half of 2011, I decided to look back as well. It wasn't long before I came to the realization that I have seen only ten movies from 2011! In the past 6 months I've only seen 10 recently releases! Anyway, since I obviously haven't seen enough to dub the best and worst, I'll just list my ten and quickly note what I thought of them.

The Adjustment Bureau

I was expecting a lot from this one, and I was partly impressed, partly dissapointed. The acting and the music were great, but I felt that the story, and especially the ending, could've been better. I was expecting something more complex. I mean, the love card gets really old at times!


Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger's Tides

Enjoyable way to spend 2 hours. Not great, but surely not as bad as people say. I really loved the cast additions and the reductions! Read my full review here.


Hanna
Meh. I know almost everyone thought it was great, but I just didn't feel it. The actors did a good job (even though Cate was underused :$) and the music and cinematography were perfectly used, but the story and the characters never really got to me. Certainly not a bad movie, but not really my cup of tea (lol).


Thor

I went to this one purely for Rene Russo. I dislike Superhero movies and the idea of a guy from an  imaginary world coming to earth to find his hammer... It wasn't the most exciting thing I'd ever heard. But I went and actually ended up loving it. When you set your standards low, there's not a lot that can go wrong. And let's just say that Chris Hemsworth isn't bad to look at either :p


Kung Fu Panda 2
Loved it. Just as funny as the first one. But this one had sentimental aspects too which made it even better! And Angelina's voice... like music to my ears ;)


Sanctum 
Didn't know anything about this movie when I sat down to see it. Never saw a trailer or poster or had even heard of the title. But as soon as I realized this was a dramatic disaster film with James Cameron's name attached to it, I knew I'd love it. And I was right: great visuals and good plot.
 

Hall Pass
Very forgettable. As a matter of fact, I can't even remember half of it... Just a silly movie about two horny guys getting permission from their wives to chase after women. Yes, stupid concept, all it could do was fail... If my friends didn't drag me in to see it, I never would've seen it which wouldn't have been the worst thing in the world!

Soul Surfer
This one had me at "True Story". It could've been better but I thought it was an overall nice film. It was indeed loaded with too much sentimental load and the real point was often clouded by corny lines, but I liked it. Decent performances by lead AnnaSophia Robb and supporting Helen Hunt and Dennis Quaid made up for a lot.

Just Go With It
Not as bad as the average Jennifer Aniston movie. Yes we saw Jen in yet the same character we've seen over and over again. And yes, we knew from the get go who would end up with who. But once you ignore all of that, you might get a few laughs out of it.


Bad Teacher
I liked this one surprisingly much. Especially when "Gangsta's Paradise" started playing and a quick but significant shot of Michelle in 'Dangerous Minds' was shown! I shrieked lol. The movie was vulgar and didn't have much class, but it was still funny as hell. Sometimes a movie is just about the sheer ridiculous humor.

2 comments:

Cello said...

What?!!!! Hanna was awesome! But you liked Kung Fu Panda 2 so i'll let it slide :)

-Marcello
http://japancinema.net

Paul S said...
This comment has been removed by the author.

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.