Lay off the classics!

Thursday, August 11, 2011


I remember when the Black Eyed Peas went and stole the all time classic song 'Time of my Life'. How mad I was and how I kept saying that there are some things you should just never touch. Well never did I expect that the song wasn't the last thing that would be stolen from Dirty Dancing. Now they're actually going to remake this legendary, timeless piece of work? It's just plain wrong and stupid and impossible! When I read the article I just couldn't believe it. Who would be so reckless as to even try to remake that movie? As it turns out, it's a person who was also present on the set of the original 1987 film: choreographer Kenny Ortega. Fine, in all honestly he did do a wonderful job with the choreography back then. But directing is an entire other level. For argument's sake, let's take a look at his recent work. His movies High School Musical, Cheetah Girls and Hannah Montana don't really change my mind, on the contrary: dance steps aside, those movies were directorial disasters! At least he is aware of the crowd's displeased stand:

"Saying yes to this project was a really tough decision for me, and one that I wrestled with for a long time, I had to be won over too. We have a big challenge and a long road ahead of us. All I can say is that I hope we can bring something unique and original to help change the naysayers' minds about the film."



The "unique and original" comment really scares me. No doubt he'll try to make it more modern and 'appealing to a younger demographic' (barf). Who knows, maybe he'll decide to replace the Mambo for a round of headbanging.

Besides an unqualified director, where on earth will you ever find two people as charismatic and wonderful as Patrick Swayze and Jennifer Grey? They were so utterly perfect it's insane! Not to mention their imndblowing chemistry... I was snooping around on some forums to see other people's opinion, and the cast ideas some had... They went as far as saying Justin Timberlake would be perfect as Johnny. I know that those are just people's opinion but it's not as if Ortega will cast unknowns. And just think and see who is out there of the appropriate age and with the right looks... It's a nightmare to even think about the possible candidates.

No, from where I stand this is a disaster waiting to happen. Give it a few years and they'll announce the remake of Grease. And with a remake of Footloose on the way... Can't they come up with something original instead of fix what isn't broken? I don't know why Hollywood doesn't realize that some things are there to be left alone on their pedestal...

4 comments:

Jack L said...

It does seem that no classic is safe from remake fever these days.
I've never even seen the original Dirty Dancing though, so this news doesn't bother me as much as some of the other remakes, like Straw Dogs for example...

I wonder which remake will be announced next.

Candice Frederick said...

i am so against this.

Chelsea said...

You should see it then Jack! It's really good and you'll instantly know why I'm so against a remake...

Paul S said...

Hollywoods diet of remakes and sequels is getting beyond a joke; it's one of the main reasons I rarely visit the cinema nowadays.
Dirty Dancing is a cultural icon and it should be left in the 80's along with films like Ghostbusters and Crocodile Dundee and tv shows like Miami Vice rather than being revamped to make a quick buck.
I'm dreading the day we're "treated" to a remake of The Fabulous Baker Boys but nothing would surprise me nowadays!

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.