Random Movie Thoughts

Sunday, January 8, 2012

Before taking a look at what's waiting for us in the near future, let's take a step back and see what 2011 has brought us. First off, it's worth mentioning that last year holds the record for the most film sequels in one year. I took a look at the 10 highest grossing films of 2011 and there are only two movies (as opposed to five in 2010 and six in 2009) on that list that weren't sequels: Rio and The Smurfs. Just a little reassurance that cinema is indeed just a money-making business without having high standards for originality and art quality. But what else is new right? 
It’s not that huge box-office numbers are THAT important but it would still be nice to have them acknowledged. But of course, we’re going into the New Year with fresh hopes and dreams :)

Since the Dutch release dates of movies are generally two/three months behind on USA dates, I haven’t seen any of the latest films yet. I haven’t seen significant films like J. Edgar, The Iron Lady, The Artist, and The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. So I’m going to try my best to finish watching everything and make my predictions before Oscar Night.

Speaking of Oscar Night, I’m so glad it’s finally Award season again! All the glam and sensation and suspense and excitement..! There’s a chance it won’t be shown here (I frigging hate this country!) but I’m still keeping my fingers crossed. The trailer of the 84th Academy Awards is a bit disappointing though. I wonder whether they couldn’t find anyone better than Megan Fox -_- 
But big props on Billy Crystal hosting again; that man is all charm! 


For a change, I've decided to make a 'best and worst' list for the year 2011. In order to do that I have many movies waiting. So I've made a "to watch" list to keep me busy these last weeks of Winter break:

* The Iron Lady
* Moneyball
Midnight in Paris
* The Devil's Double
* Rise of the Planet of the Apes
* The Whistleblower
* Drive
The Debt
* The Ideas of March
* Anonymous
* J. Edgar
* My Week with Marilyn
* Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy
* The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
* In the Land of Blood and Honey
* War Horse
* Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close
* The Descendants
* Melancholia

I think that's about it. If anyone has any more recommendations, feel free to comment :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.